Responsible for performing all phases of mechanical maintenance throughout the plant safely and effectively. Works closely with electrical maintenance and operation personnel to ensure safe and reliable operation of the plant.
- Communicate with Lead Mechanic, Shift Leaders and Superintendent to perform duties.
- Perform all mechanical maintenance including but not limited to preventative, corrective, and emergency repairs on all equipment.
- Perform equipment installation.
- Conduct inspection rounds of pumps, couplings, and other equipment for purposes of troubleshooting and fixing malfunctions. Document problems and results and report them to Lead Mechanic and Superintendent.
- Conduct lubrication rounds to ensure proper equipment functionality.
- Follow standard safety procedures including confined space entry (CSE), lock out/tag out (LO/TO), hoist inspections, etc. Correct safety and environmental hazards and report them to appropriate supervisor.
- Complete necessarily training programs within the time frame allowed.
- Maintain a clean work area at all times.
- Maintain daily work log with work descriptions, time entry and any additional information requested by supervisor.
- Be available to work overtime on emergency base or as directed by supervisor.
- Respond to call-ins for emergency repair work and perform on call duty based on rotational schedule or as directed by supervisor.
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- 5+ years work experience as a mechanic, preferably in a paper mill or industrial setting.
- Basic knowledge of Mechanical, Hydraulic and Pneumatic equipment to support safe and efficient minor equipment repair.
- Knowledge and understanding of all federal, state, local and company safety procedures and ability to execute same.
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of the occupational hazards connected with general plant practices with emphasis on the necessity of safety policy compliance.
- Ability to understand verbal & written instructions in English including, but not limited to the ability to read and comprehend instruction manuals, instruction sheets, technical data, work orders, training manuals, and other verbal/computer-based training.
- Basic computer knowledge preferred.
- Ability to access confined spaces thru standard man ways.
- Ascend and descend stairs and stationary vertical ladders as part of normal work activity and emergency egress situations.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to move about all areas of the plant, including catwalks, deck grating and uneven surfaces.
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Operate manual and/or power hand tools and power equipment (i.e. industrial forklift and man lift) in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate on radio during noise interference.
- Ability to work under adverse conditions that may require use of company provided personal protective equipment.